A couple of days ago, I made a spur of the moment decision to attend the San Francisco Bay Area Ice Dancers Ice Dance Weekend. I’ve only been to a few ice dance weekends in all of my fifty plus years of skating, so I decided that I better go to another one before social ice dancing dies out completely.
Now that I’ve signed up and made travel arrangements, I am getting more and more excited! Ice dance weekends in some ways, are like high school or college reunions. There is skating, but there is socializing, and of course, food!
Programmed dance music is played and men ask women to dance, but the women also ask men to partner them. If there are not enough men, sometimes women skate together and sometimes people do crazy things like backward Canasta and Fiesta Tangos, the Skaters March, and ice dances in groups of four or six! There are also seminars and everyone that attends gets to know each other better and together they share their love of skating and ice dancing.
It does help to have some ice dancing experience and know the steps of at least six to eight pattern ice dances, but there are always people around that are so enthusiastic about ice dancing, that they are willing to help.
This particular ice dance weekend also has some “ice dancing greats” teaching and giving seminars including Michelle Ford (one of the people I wanted to skate like when I was a young ice dancer – also the first ice dancer ever to wear a backless dress), Pam & Jonathon O’Dougherty, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre (Brent is the almost “superhuman” coach who helped my daughter Rebekah pass nine international ice dances at one test session in Sun Valley during the summer of 2017), Beata Handra & Charles Sinek (inventors of the coolest skate guards in the world and Olympians), and Nathan Fast.
There will be 10 hours of social ice dancing, ballroom dance instruction, a Saturday night social event at a restaurant and a brunch. Those who don’t skate can take part in the food and off the ice activities.
The ice dance weekend is in San Jose, so there might not be time for a visit to the “The City” and eat Chinese food, but I know I will have a good time. Hey, ice dancing friends, why don’t you join me?
Happy Skating and Happy Ice Dancing!
- Figure Skating Competition Scores Were Once Added Up By Hand
- Do You Dread the Thought of Using an Ice Skating Rink Restroom?
- I’m So Excited About the World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships and Festival!
- JO ANN’s Ice Skate and Practice Compulsory Figures Just for Exercise Plan
- What It Is Like to Skate and Play and Stay in Sun Valley, Idaho
- There Is a Difference Between Ice Dance Three Turns and the Three Turns Done In Free Skating and In Recreational Ice Skating
- Parents of Figure Skaters Have to Adjust to Life Without Skating When a Child Retires From the Sport
- Kiss and Cry: A True and Inspirational Film About a Figure Skater Named Carley Allison
- Figure Skating Is About Getting Up
- Figure Skaters Should Lace Up a Pair of Ice Hockey Skates!
- Dear JO ANN: How Can I Pay for My Child’s Figure Skating Dream?
- Figure Skating Travel Woes: My Memories of a Bad Experience With United Airlines: December, 2008
- Opinion: I Am Not Sure I Like Quadruple Figure Skating Jumps
- Opinion: Ice Dancing Certainly Was Not/Is Not “Fixed” at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships
- A Funny Figure Skating Memory: My Skating Partner’s Wig Fell Off In Competition!
- Practice List for Beginning Ice Skaters
- Ice Skating Pants, Skirts, and Jackets By Skating Designs
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do an Outside Eight On Ice Skates
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do a Camel Spin
- A List of the Indoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southern California
- Nathan Chen Was Amazing at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships!
- The Queens of Figure Skating Only Seem to Reign for a Year (or Two)
- The Presidential Inauguration Reminded Me of Changing Figure Skating Coaches!
- Why Is the US National Figure Skating Championships Such a Prestigious Competition?
- What Does God Have to Do With the 2017 US National Figure Skating Championships?