On September 1, 2017, Olympic figure skating medalist and US ladies figure skating champion Gracie Gold announced to the world that she was taking time off from skating to “seek some professional help.” In October it was confirmed that she is being treated for an eating disorder, anxiety, and depression, and it was announced that she would skip competing in the 2017 Grand Prix of Figure Skating season.
What I don’t understand is why is it necessary for elite figure skaters from the USA to have to make public announcements like this? Why couldn’t Gracie Gold just privately pursue the help she needed? Her announcement was and is so very public. Elite figure skaters deal with so many things and I wish that did not include the invasion of privacy. Losing privacy I believe could have contributed to what Gold is going through.
Gracie Gold will get through this tough time in her life, but may always carry the memory of when she told the world she had “problems.” I do wish the best for Gracie. She has accomplished so much in her young life and I hope she is able to get through this and skate again with the joy that she once had.
- How to Do a Basic Spin On Ice Skates
- How Much Money Will a Skater Spend On Private Lessons?
- What Exactly Is the Definition of Figure Skating?
- The 2017 World Figure & Fancy Skating Championship Was an Amazing Experience!
- How to Choose a Figure Skating Coach
- Comparison of FROZEN On Ice Versus the New-to-Be Broadway Stage Version
- San Francisco Bay Area Ice Dance Weekend October 6–8, 2017
- Figure Skating Competition Scores Were Once Added Up By Hand
- Do You Dread the Thought of Using an Ice Skating Rink Restroom?
- I’m So Excited About the World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships and Festival!
- JO ANN’s Ice Skate and Practice Compulsory Figures Just for Exercise Plan
- What It Is Like to Skate and Play and Stay in Sun Valley, Idaho
- There Is a Difference Between Ice Dance Three Turns and the Three Turns Done In Free Skating and In Recreational Ice Skating
- Parents of Figure Skaters Have to Adjust to Life Without Skating When a Child Retires From the Sport
- Kiss and Cry: A True and Inspirational Film About a Figure Skater Named Carley Allison
- Figure Skating Is About Getting Up
- Figure Skaters Should Lace Up a Pair of Ice Hockey Skates!
- Dear JO ANN: How Can I Pay for My Child’s Figure Skating Dream?
- Figure Skating Travel Woes: My Memories of a Bad Experience With United Airlines: December, 2008
- Opinion: I Am Not Sure I Like Quadruple Figure Skating Jumps
- Opinion: Ice Dancing Certainly Was Not/Is Not “Fixed” at the 2017 World Figure Skating Championships
- A Funny Figure Skating Memory: My Skating Partner’s Wig Fell Off In Competition!
- Practice List for Beginning Ice Skaters
- Ice Skating Pants, Skirts, and Jackets By Skating Designs
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do an Outside Eight On Ice Skates
- JO ANN’s Figure Skating Tips 101: How to Do a Camel Spin
- A List of the Indoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southern California
- Nathan Chen Was Amazing at the 2017 US Figure Skating Championships!
- The Queens of Figure Skating Only Seem to Reign for a Year (or Two)
- The Presidential Inauguration Reminded Me of Changing Figure Skating Coaches!
- Why Is the US National Figure Skating Championships Such a Prestigious Competition?
- What Does God Have to Do With the 2017 US National Figure Skating Championships?